I've been working full-time as a Japanese-English translator since 2009 through my company Fry Translation Inc, a subchapter S corporation. I translate mainly technical and business documents, including manuals, reports, presentations, press releases, and scientific papers, from Japanese into English. My goal and passion is to translate Japanese business and technical documents into natural, idiomatic English, while retaining the precision, nuance, and persuasiveness of the original Japanese text. I typically work through language service providers (translation agencies), who keep me very busy, but I'm sometimes available for individual projects for direct clients, or I can recommend other translators for these projects.
I earned a BA in Linguistics and Computer Science from UCLA, followed by a Ph.D. in Linguistics, with a minor in Computer Science, from Stanford University. After earning my Ph.D., I worked as a computational linguist (at PARC, SRI, and elsewhere) and taught courses in linguistics and language technology at San Jose State University and Boise State University. I also spent several years living in Japan, working at Koei (in Tokyo) and NAIST (in Tsukuba). Although I enjoyed my time in the corporate, academic, and research arenas, I'm happiest being a self-employed translator because the work is challenging and fascinating, I can set my own hours, and there are no meetings!
Document Security Policies
My clients include international law firms and some of Japan's largest multinational corporations. I am committed to protecting their documents and files through security best practices, including:
- Strictly obeying the terms of signed NDAs.
- Never storing client files on USB memory.
- Never posting to blogs or social media.
- Backing up daily to a secure, private remote server (not "the cloud").
- Destroying all materials (source, target, reference, and backup) upon completion of a project.
- Keeping computers free of malware and file-sharing programs.
- Using high-strength encryption, MAC and port filtering, and email over SSL/TLS.
Fry Translation Inc.
9201 Grandmason Pl.
Eagle, ID 83616 USA
Areas of Expertise
- Computer hardware
- Computer languages (C(++), Java, etc.)
- Computer networking and security
- Databases (SQL)
- Information Technology
- Language technologies (SR, MT)
- Mathematics and statistics
- Servers and virtualization
- Signal processing
- Software development and testing
- Unix and Linux
- Web and app development
- Adobe Acrobat (.pdf)
- Adobe FrameMaker (.fm, .mif)
- Adobe InDesign (.ind)
- Adobe PageMaker (.pmd)
- AsciiDoc (.txt)
- DocBook (.xml)
- HTML, XHTML, SGML, XML
- Microsoft Excel (.xls, .xlsx)
- Microsoft Word (.doc, .docx)
- PowerPoint (.ppt, .pptx)
- Quark Express (.qxd)
- TeX, LaTeX (.tex)
- Translation (SDLX, XLIFF, etc.)
- and more!